October 22, 2013

Having 2 Under 2



Since Amelia is going to be 2 in a couple of weeks I decided to bookmark the time in our lives when we had 2 under 2. I remember when I found out I was pregnant with Liam thinking how am I going to do it? Even that first hour after he was born I said to Joe we must be crazy! And maybe we are!

I have learned a few things since having my second child. You quickly learn to prioritize and multitask, especially when they are both crying.

I was also scared going in public with them at first by myself. But I decided it doesn't get easier until you try. So I went to Target. I put Amelia in the front of the cart and Liam in his car seat in the cart and we survived, but maybe not quietly!

Amelia really does do well with the baby. Probably every day we have to let her hold him for all of 30 seconds before she is ready for something else. She is also really good at getting his pacifier in while he is upset and I am cooking dinner. He thinks she is pretty funny and loves to smile at her. We have our moments of jealousy especially if we are at church and Amelia is unsure and wants me to hold her. I try to give lots of hugs and reasurrances.

What I have Learned
-I really have to go out of my way to get some special time with Amelia. Whether that is just snuggling on the couch, reading books together, or having a dance party in the kitchen.

-I really try to let Amelia help with the baby. She loves to help him get a bath and get me things.

-We talked about the baby before he came but she was young so probably didn't understand much. At least she knew the word baby.

-Again I love my carriers. I used the moby wrap when he was small and starting to transition more the ergo which gives me better support on my shoulders.

-Amelia takes afternoon nap so I really try to get him down at the same time so I don't go too crazy during the day.

Does anyone have any tips for having 2 little ones?
Pin It Now!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing how God just makes room for two? I had great anxiety about how I would possibly love another baby as much as I love my daughter- so sure that she would always be my favorite. People told me "It's hard to explain, but you'll love them the same, but different, and it'll be perfect." It made no sense until they were both here.
Having two taught me to pick my battles, and the value of "Woo-sah." It's helped me see the sweetness in the sour, and have a fondness for the chaos. I cherish every time they love on each other, and one of the greatest decisions I made as a pregnant mom was praying incessantly for their relationship. I have also somehow cultivated the ability to find calm in a storm - when they both start crying, I take a deep breath and smile, & tend to their needs with supernatural grace. I think one of my defining moments as a mom was when my oldest held my youngest - she aged instantly, and I realized how grown she is... I hold that moment in my heart and remember it when they're less than angelic - remembering that they grow so fast, and we can't move backwards - how precious they are even in trying moments.
Oh - and I have a better appreciation for "the rod" - spanking my son has come much more naturally than spanking my oldest. We live and learn, and I am thankful God opened my heart to the beauty of godly discipline. Thanks for sharing your experiences - I always look forward to reading them :)

Post a Comment